What arrangements does the school make to support children transferring to another school?
If your child is moving to another school, we will:
- Contact the school SENCO and ensure they know about any special arrangements or support that needs to be made for your child.
- Make sure that all records about your child are passed on, in a secure manner, as soon as possible.
If your child is moving to secondary school;
- A programme of events is planned annually with secondary schools to ensure that our pupils make a successful transition from Year 6 to Year 7.
- In year 5 there will usually be an opportunity to spend a day at either St. Thomas More or St. Bernard’s to enable all pupils to experience secondary school life. For pupils with SEND, they will be accompanied by their class teacher or their Learning Support Assistant if required.
- Our Year 6 teacher and SENCO will be able to guide you through the process of applying to secondary school and support you if you require assistance in completing the necessary paperwork.
- If your child has an EHC Plan then our Senco will arrange the Year Six annual review for the first half term in order that suitable transition plan can be put in place.
- Our SENCO will invite the SENCO of your child’s secondary school, if known, to attend their final Annual Review so you will have the opportunity to meet them and discuss any concerns you may have regarding transition.
- The secondary school will arrange for your child to visit their new school and usually a teacher from the secondary school will come to St George’s to meet your child and discuss their needs with the child’s class teacher. Additional visits can be arranged if required.
- Copies of relevant SEN paperwork are transferred to secondary schools in the summer term, prior to the child leaving.